Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Mool - Fisherman





Senegal has arguably been my favorite place to photograph. Ironically, I actually find Dakar to be quite ugly. The buildings tend to be half-constructed concrete blocks and I'd be surprised if there's a word for 'recycling' or 'sanitation department' in wolof. Then again, there is some beauty in the dirt and grit of it all. However, where the real beauty lies is in the people. In spite of the gray of the concrete, the colors of the senegalese clothing adds some life to the city. While on Ngor beach, near the westernmost point in Africa, I went to take some pictures of some kids i'd seen drumming. When they saw me coming up towards them, they dropped their sticks, buckets, pots and pans, and sprinted towards me, pushing, shoving and stretching to have their pictures taken. Using my mom's 'wrangling' techniques (my mom is the director of photography for parenting magazine, spend a day on a shoot with her and you'll see how hard it really is to make a crying baby smile on cue). The images that came out instantly found themselves among my favorites. Here are a few, I hope you like them.

No comments: