Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Wax - A thick pooridge dish served with yogurt sauce

It's the end of Ramadan, a day known as Eid in the rest of the world but as Korité in Senegal. The chants coming from the Mosque today seem louder and more joyous. It is forbidden or impolite to talk about any difficulty you might be having with fasting during Ramadan. In spite of the responses of "ça va bien" (I'm fine), as the month went on people got tired. As the majority of my time spent in Senegal has been during Ramadan, I'm very curious to see how life changes after Koritè. Even last night while walking around, I could immediately see things changing. This morning my family donned their new boubous, custom tailored from fine fabrics in rich colors, in celebration of the day. Sort of like christmas sweaters but a lot nicer. I want one. Enter the second chapter of my time in Senegal.

No comments: